Dear Avonworth Families:
Avonworth School District’s library staff members are pleased to announce a new partnership with Sewickley Public Library (SPL) that will see every student in the Avonworth School District receive their own SPL Library Card.
The Library Cards for All initiative will provide students with high quality digital and physical materials in school, at SPL and at home. Students will also have access to Children and Teen Librarians who are dedicated to promoting literacy at all levels and have more direct access to the programs offered at SPL.
There are many benefits of this program for students.
- Students will have borrowing privileges from libraries across Allegheny County, including Andrew Bayne Memorial Library in Bellevue, Avalon Public Library and Northland Library.
- Students will have access to digital materials through OverDrive and Hoopla, including ebooks, magazines, audiobooks and other media.
- Students will be able to use resources that are unique to Sewickley Public Library, including an equipment lending library, mobile printing access, and extracurricular programming.
- If your child currently holds a card at any library in Allegheny County, this new card will override current holdings currently on that record.
- The program includes a hands-off enrollment process.
- Your child’s library card is valid for two years and is directly held by the student. This means juniors and seniors will continue to benefit from the card once they graduate from high school.
The next steps are easy for parents and students! All students will be registered for a library card unless parents opt out of the program by completing a quick Google form included below. Then Avonworth School District will provide the Sewickley Public Library with the necessary student information to complete enrollment. This process will take a few months, and we expect to distribute cards at the beginning of next school year. These cards will be active for two years. After two years, students will be able to complete a simple enrollment process if they would like to maintain a public library card.
If you want your student to receive a library card next fall, there’s nothing more you need to do! If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to any of the Avonworth School District Librarians listed below. If you would like to opt out of the Library Cards for All program, please click to complete the Google Form. This form is live now, and will be closed on April 27th 2022 if you do not wish for your child to receive a library card through this program.
Avonworth School District Librarians
Avonworth Middle + High School
Emily Hickman - [email protected]
Avonworth Elementary School
Sara Osborn - [email protected]
Avonworth Primary Center
Jennifer Gould - [email protected]