We are extremely proud of the Class of 2020 for the resiliance and positivity they have displayed during this challenging time. This is not how we want their career at Avonworth High School to come to an end but we will make the most of this difficult situation. Below are some important dates and announcements regarding the Class of 2020.
Mr. Como and our yearbook staff have worked to re-open online sales. You may purchase a yearbook through April 30th.
Recognize that the yearbook may look and feel different, as the staff was unable to finish all editing, etc. prior to the school closure. It will be similar but may include different sections and be missing others. The staff is working hard to find the best ways to do this.
May 20th Senior Projects Due (submit digitally -Grad Project Re-Design)
May 22nd Last day of instruction for 12th graders
May 26-29, Tues. - Fri. (We will develop a detailed plan for spacing at pick-up)
- Cap & Gown pick-up (Or as soon as they arrive! Would like to get these to you asap)
- Locker Clean Out
- Walk a route through school - “Farewell Tour”
- Pick-Up Cords/Awards/Athletic letters
- Chromebook turn-over (change to personal device to keep) - Tech Dept. is creating plan
- Textbooks, novels and teacher/class material turn-in
- Uniform turn-in
- Instrument turn-in
June 5th, Friday (Rain date June 6th) - Avonworth Graduate Celebration Parade
- Community involved - forming plan together now, details not worked out
- General idea: Graduates decorate cars and parade through main street and around school
- Names announced
- NOT in place of graduation; a celebration and public honor (and fun!)
- Working on a Senior Slideshow Video to release that night
July 9th, Thursday - Seniors Only Prom @ The Priory (bringing dates will depend on July social restrictions)
**If Prom cannot be held on July 9th, it unfortunately will be cancelled and not rescheduled. You all know I have a love/hate relationship with Prom, but we are working to try every avenue before cancelling. I hope the pressure of the perfect dress, etc. can be shifted to just enjoying the event as it is able to be held...the joy of it will overshadow your attire anyway...please just be yourselves and do not stress.
- Red Carpet Outdoor Promenade prior to Prom @ 4:00pm @ AHS
- Seniors each walk the red carpet outside of school
- If Prom cannot be held, will still hold Promenade outside with students walking carpet at a distance for pictures; walk along red carpet in front of the school
- Music/DJ hopefully will be playing
July 14, Tuesday - Baccalaureate @ 6pm - Community Presbyterian Church of Ben Avon
- This is a “blessing” of the class; optional and casual attire (no caps & gowns worn)
July 15, Wednesday - Graduation Practice @ 10am - Lenzner Field; Senior Picnic @ 12pm - Mayernick Center
July 17, Friday - Commencement/Graduation Ceremony @ 7pm - Lenzner Field
- Spacing of graduates and single file procession
- 8 foot spacing on field
- Limited spectators and family spacing
- Teacher spacing
- Limited band and chorus
**If this live event cannot be held, a virtual ceremony will be held through a video - honors, pictures, speeches, etc.
August 1, Saturday - Last attempt at Live Graduation Ceremony (This may be a technical re-issue of diplomas and more for the pictures and feel of a ceremony)
**If the ceremony cannot be held, it will be cancelled.